Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Spiders!

Yes, spiders. We are being taken over by spiders. We had one big black spider come in during the rains of Agatha. She (Joel decided it was female) probably came in to escape the rain. She just sat waaaay up in the corner of the living room and didn't move for a couple of days. We were begining to wonder if she had died up there. Until we walked out one morning and...
...she was gone... {insert scary movie music here}

Ok. No problem. Right? Sooo she probably wandered back outside during the night. I didn't give it too much thought. Until I was tying back the curtains and...

...she was hiding behind the curtains... {more scary movie music}

Ok, yeah I'd like to say I screamed but it came out as more of a pathetic yelp. "YELP!"

So all I could do was point until Joel found out the reason for my yelp and valiantly scooped her up into a newspaper and set her free somewhere in the yard. (I know, there are so many of you saying, "You SAVED IT? Jen, this is what shoes are for! Squash that thing!" The only thing we kill with delight here are MOSQUITOES. We high-five each other when we hunt down and kill one of those nasty bloodsuckers. Hey, it's the little victories that make life fun, right?)

Aaaaanywaaaay, back to the story...

Joel tossed the spider outside. Aaahhh, spider problem solved! {insert happy Disney movie music}

WRONG. {!?!?!?!}

Two spiders

We came home later that evening and found Spider #1. And her twin sister, Spider #2. They were identical. Joel laughed and said, "Well she showed us, didn't she? It's like she said, yeah you can throw me out, but I'll be back, and I'm bringing my friends."  {insert sound of laughing spider}

And I kid you not, the next day there were THREE. It was a spider party. And like true party animals (party arachnids?) they only come out at night. They hide out during the day behind the wooden window frame. We figure they're here because there are other bugs to eat (mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes) so we let them be.
Three spiders

Ok, so we have 3 roommatezs (or more -- who knows how many others they invite inside while we're sleeping) and none of them pay rent. But they keep to themselves so we live in harmony. It is sort of interesting to watch them sneak out once it gets dark.

And the other day I walked outside and saw this really cool multi-colored spider in a web right outside our door. I had to take a picture. I haven't seen this spider inside (yet) and I really hope it stays outside because this one really looks like she means business. Fangs and all.

Colorful, hopefully non-poisonous spider

Ok, so needless to say, if I have the time to obsess over the bugs here it must mean that I don't have a job. Well, I sort of have a freelance job working for REVUE magazine. It's run by 2 US citizens (John & Terry) who have been living in Central America for over 20 years. It's the biggest magazine in Guatemala written in English. YAY! They offered me freelance work as both a designer and as a writer. It won't be much money, but it's a start! And they offered Joel a job in sales -- since the magazine is free, they make all their money from ads. AND best of all, they are HUGE animal lovers and work with rescue groups to take in strays. (There are TONS of street doggies here -- it's SO sad.) They get in touch with rescue groups in the US and pay to have these animals sent there so they can find good homes for them. Anyway, I will be among really good people. And if anyone wants to make a donation to their animal group, please let me know! Tomorrow Joel and I are going to volunteer to walk 5 little puppies who need to be socialized and learn to walk on a leash before they can be sent to the US. Bring on the puppies!

That's it for now. Please write back and let me know how things are going in YOUR part of the world. Stay thirsty, my friends!

-Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment