Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Good news, bad news...

So hi there boys and girls... I've got a mixed bag of stuff to share this week. Most of it is good-good-good, but the bad news is bad-bad-baaad (to me, at least).

First, the GOOD NEWS!

Joel got a job as the Website Administrator for La Antigua Network -- a website dedicated to the NGO's (Non-Gov't Organizations) here. It's only 20 hours a month, but it's something! And it's good for him because he used to do this full time 10 years ago and has wanted to get back into this line of work. So yaaaay for Joel! Unfortunately, he'll be working for Judy, the high-maintenance old lady who asked us to volunteer for that picnic last week. She emailed him THREE TIMES within 15 minutes around 2:30 this morning. Hah-hah-hah... Good luck, Joel!

The people who own REVUE Magazine (John & Terry) are back after being in the US for three weeks. Terry is also one of the co-founders of the animal rescue group we've been working with and she is AWESOME. Anyway, today as I was helping her with the pups, she offered me the job of EDITOR for the next edition of their magazine. WOW! Yaaaay for me! This is pretty exciting. It's not much money but holy cow! I get to edit a magazine! The guy who was doing it has macular degeneration and just had surgery. (OUCH) He can't see well enough to do the work, so I'm stepping in while he's recovering. Anyway, Terry said it'll only take a week to edit the magazine and I'd get to work from their office, which is great. I know it sounds strange, but I LOVE their office -- they have six rescue dogs living there, and -- get this -- something like 23 cats in an area I refer to as the Kitty Condo. All of them are having a much better life. Two of the dogs, Yancey and Sookie, are out and about, freely roaming around and greeting people as they come to the office. Yancey is a big goofy Golden Retriever who does not know a stranger. He'll lay on your feet as you pet him so you can't get away. And he sheds like a... a... well, like a big shaggy Golden Retriever.
Sookie, on the other hand, is extremely shy. I have no idea what mix of breeds she is. She's grey with pointy ears, beady brown eyes, a big body on skinny little legs. Sort of like a bug-eyed tank on stilts. She was traumatized when brought in as a rescue animal. She'd been cut several times with a machete and attacked by dogs and quite possibly hit by a chicken bus. Poor Sookie! So she has a reason to be afraid of people. I am damn determined to get her to like me. It's a miracle when she sniffs my hand -- and last week she let me pet her (once) then she scampered away to hide under a desk. It was a tiny victory for me.

Other than that, I've been editing a book about being the trustee for a family will. Not the most exciting book, but it's interesting to hear this lady's story -- she was sued by her own family THREE times when the money ran out. Greed, I tell ya, is an ugly thing.

Joel and I "fostered" a sweet older Boxer mix named Marcella for two days after she had surgery. It was nice having a dog here, even though she peed (twice) in the living room. Thankfully, we have tile floors, so cleanup wasn't too bad. She had several tumors removed and needed stitches after being attacked by other dogs. Her fur was shaved in the areas where she had surgery and she looked like a brown patchwork quilt. Poor baby! She liked jumping up on the furniture. (See picture.) She was suuuch a good guest while staying here -- she never once chased the cats. (But the cats were sooo curious about her.) (You know how cats are -- one day that curiosity is gonna kill 'em.)

And now, the BAD NEWS...

*sigh* My mom's beloved dog, Lucy, had to be put down today. She had a really good life but her body just couldn't keep up. My brother, John, and I got Lucy when she was just a puppy -- she was literally a junkyard dog! A friend of John's had a car repair shop and surprise! A dog decided to have her puppies there. Anyway, we gave Lucy to my mom and she's been a great dog all of these years. Even though it was the right thing to do for Lucy, it was a hard decision for my mom and stepfather. And it's sad to know she won't be there when I go back to Texas. But the thought that she's up in Dog Heaven, running, jumping, and swimming like she did in her younger days makes me feel better. Woof!

Ok, so that's it from this end of the line. I hope everyone is having a good week so far!

Stay thirsty mis amigos!

-Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment